28 December 2007
What this means for India?
This assassination surely does not makes things easier for India. India does not want a radical anarchical state equipped with a Nuclear bomb as its neighbour .The more Pakistan moves away from democracy, the more dangerous it becomes for India.This turn of events will give a huge setback to the democratic process of Pakistan and completely overthrow the somewhat confidence building process the two sides had undertaken in the past few years.
25 December 2007
And then came Taare Zameen Par...
I follow a rule,'never miss an AAMIR movie', and I'm glad I follow it!!The film scores on all fronts. Not only does it strikes your emotional chord, it has been shot wonderfully with diverse sceneries and backgrounds.Darsheel hardly speaks but talks a lot through his eyes. The film itself does not talk much, it just lets you understand and fell what you want.Aamir as usual is outstanding.The music is soothing and lyrics excellent.
Another thing to notice is the animation, I think the movie has the best and the most realistic animation we've ever had in Indian cinema.You are reminded of a 'Da Vinci' when those numbers go around!
It is probably a must watch for Parents, teachers, and young students. Some of the college junta might not relate to the movie in a big way, but the inherent message and narration of the film is strong enough to pull you into it.
Taare Zameen Par, minus 30 minutes and 1 song can be our potential winner at Oscar.It should win many here.It can't be compared to an Om Shanti Om or welcome,it would be like apples and oranges.
One really has to give it to Aamir for the following reasons:
- To put his faith and money in a film like TZP which may not seem to be an out an out commercial entertainer catering to the so called 'multiplex audience'.
- For Acting,Producing and later Directing the movie himself, and pulling it off so wonderfully.
- To have extracted such powerful and moving performances from 8-9 year old children.
- To have the guts to put a 9 year old in Lead and push himself to second lead!The entire movie belongs to Darsheel, Aamir is actually the supporting actor!!
Go on, buy back row seats, sit back, and absorb. Don't be disturbed.
A movie like Taare....comes once in a while.After Lagaan, Rang de Basanti and Iqbal, TZP captures your heart like no movie has ever done before.
I hope SRK sees the film and learns that Cinema provides entertainment,yes, but has the power to change people as well.
NO RATINGS,just go on and watch it!!!
18 December 2007
Question: Do you find something similar in the picture above and the post below this post?
Click the image and compare....
It was pleasant surprise when I accidentally bumped into knolstuff.com and started reading the article on the front page, and I realized that it sounded very familiar!!!!
It was actually my post which I had written two days before on this very blog!!!
A little more search and I found that it had also made its way to the google official blog and more than 50 blogs had posted a link to it!!
This will surely push me to write atleast a post a day (which was asking too much from a lazy man like me :)
16 December 2007
Google, the giant search and advertising company, has announced 'Knol' ( "which stands for a unit of knowledge") as an alternative to Wikipedia.
Udi Manber's official Google Blog post says:
There are millions of people who possess useful knowledge that they would love to share, and there are billions of people who can benefit from it. We believe that many do not share that knowledge today simply because it is not easy enough to do that. The challenge posed to us by Larry, Sergey and Eric was to find a way to help people share their knowledge. This is our main goal.
Before you think whats google is upto this time,have a look at some important facts about googles' Knol:
- A knol on a particular topic is meant to be the first thing someone who searches for this topic for the first time will want to read.This is a sure move to push the top ranking,Ad-Free Wikipedia results down on google rankings in order to increase publishing space and boost ad-revenues for google.
- Google will offer a revenue share from each page: “If an author chooses to include ads, Google will provide the author with substantial revenue share from the proceeds of those ads,” although we don’t know at this stage how much.
- Google will not serve as an editor in any way, and will not bless any content. All editorial responsibilities and control will rest with the authors. For many topics, there will likely be competing knols on the same subject. Competition of ideas is a good thing. This contrasts with Wikipedia, where the original contribution is basically anonymous then gradually gets replaced by thousands of edits.
- Google is moving away from simply indexing the worlds content to being a content provider itself. Of course Google in response would argue that it is simply facilitating user generated content (like with Blogger), that ultimately they are the host as opposed to the creator, but it still competes with existing content providers, many of whom rely on Google search results for their living.
Some points to ponder here are:
Why did'nt Google takeover 'Wikipedia' or 'squidoo'??
As we have seen in the past with youtube,blogger etc. google must have thought hard before deciding to set up a new knowledge hub.Though the decision goes well with its revenue model.Not only will it give huge advert publishing spaces, but top-ranks in google search results wil ensure that these pages are frequently visited.The model will fit very well with its Adwords,Adsense formula.
So is this the end of Wikipedia??
I seriously think NO.Simply beacuse its a one spot knowledge source where all authors edit the same page,i.e. there is only one comprehensive page for a particular topic, and the user does no have to visit ten different pages on the same topic , which seems to be the case with google's KNOL.Also the fact that wikipedia is adfree gives it huge advantage ove google.
Given these facts, It would be interesting to se what shape does KNOL take up, in any case, students are'nt complaining.Google is now making more provisions for hepling them to complete that assignment!!!
The football, Teamgeist II, features a new intelligent technology designed to assist the referee’s decision in determining when and if the ball has crossed the goal line, making it the most accurate football ever produced.
How it works:
"I can't imagine playing with a pink ball. If people had said when I started playing that we'd have pink balls I'd have said, 'No chance'.
12 December 2007
For those who were too keen in watching Deepika's latkas and ghatkas and have no idea what I am talking about, the song 'Dhoom Tana’ in Om Shanti Om presented Deepika Padukone with the actors of the yesteryears. If you also wondered how it was done, here's the Red Chillies’ VFX team explaining the process...
The team had to locate the original footage of the films they had short listed. The three song sequences appeared in Amrapali (1966, Sunil Dutt and Vyjayantimala), Saccha Jhutha (1970, Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz) and Jay-Vijay (1977, Jeetendra and Jayashree T). Not always in the best condition, the original footage had to be scanned, carefully restored and cleaned up to the best possible quality on the computers.
Keeping in mind, the set of the films, the camera angles and the lighting, Deepika Padukone was shot in present dressed in similar costumes as the yesteryear actresses to further enhance that ‘70’s look. She pretended to dance with the actors by romancing an imaginary hero.
The original actresses, i.e. Vyjanthimala, Mumtaz and Jayashree T. were removed from the sequences. All this of course, was done with the help of the Red Chillies’ VFX (visual effects) team. Sequences where the camera was moving and the actors were in contact were specially chosen, so as to provide opportunity for Deepika to dance along with them as opposed to posing. Things to note were the eye contact between the actors, physical touch, lighting continuity, perspective matching, skin tones matching, color matching, etc.
Deepika’s footage was pasted in place of the actual actresses’ footage. The technical term for this is ‘compositing’. Thus, it seems that she has been locked in the same frame as legends, Sunil Dutt, Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra. The song truly was a treat to watch. And now some of our wonder and amazement has been satisfied. Keitan Yadav, COO of Red Chillies VFX asserted that the idea was to give a feel of the era and is glad that they seemed to have succeeded.
He adds that “there are about 200 additional shots in the film where VFX is used like the snow-flakes in the globe, SRK and Deepika turning real and dancing in the globe, the Mother India fire sequence, Shantipriya’s death sequence and the climax sequence.”
what is SFX?
Image Courtesy: 'The Making of Om Shanti Om' published by Om Books International
(source:Screen India )
10 December 2007
Image Building: Media
Given his penchant for wit and one liners, Mr Lalu Prasad was sought after by the media. Whenever there was an opportunity to highlight an initiative or an achievement, advertisements were released.
Identifying Right People: Choice of OSD
In this tenure, in all the dealings of the MR with the IR, a nodal person has been the OSD, Mr Sudhir Kumar. He was specially chosen by the MR for this position, based on earlier interactions when Mr Sudhir Kumar held different positions in Bihar as an IAS officer.
The OSD understood that the IR officers themselves were a source of ideas for innovation, that would be in line with the MR’s thinking. He made it a point to be open to ideas from within the IR, so that they could be examined by the concerned functional departments and appropriate action finalized and implemented quickly. Given his unique position, he could cut across the hierarchy of the IR.
Whenever initiatives were taken up, he was relentless in follow up. The initiatives related to axle load increase, market oriented tariffs, reducing wagon turnaround, innumerable freight incentive schemes, passenger profile management, upgradation of passengers, zero based timetabling, leasing of parcel capacity, catering, are among the many which have been followed up for execution.
His robust common sense has made the Railways a success story, which attracted students of Harvard and Wharton universities to study the phenomenon, and which made the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, start a chair for railway study in this prestigious organization.
But the financial sheets always said otherwise. With its revenue slipping further and further, it was a pain for every govt. in office.
That’s where Lalu took charge. In two years, he has tripled the revenue to Rs 14293 crore – the highest ever rise. To put this number in perspective, it is India’s second highest profit maker, after ONGC’s Rs 15,143 crore. WHAT A TURNAROUND!!
WHAT LALU DID??
“Milk the cow fully”.
Yes this is the LALU mantra for success. So simple, isn’t it?? Have a look…
What Lalu did was to plan exploitation of the railway assets to their optimum level and thus effectively "milking" them for the benefit of the society.
For example, let us consider the case of a superfast express trains hauled by an electric locomotive. Normally, the 5000 Horse Power WAP-4 electric locomotives haul these trains which are capable of hauling 23 or even 24 coach trains at speeds of even 140 kph. So far, 21 coaches were considered to the maximum load for these locomotives. For various reasons, including the absence of long enough platforms at stations where these trains halt, the loads of these trains have been kept down.
Orders were issued to lengthen the platforms. So, a train of this type would carry three more coaches per train meaning almost 200 more fare-paying passengers per train and making it more paying.
Some excess expenditure has to be incurred for higher fuel consumption - electricity in this case - but the extra earnings would far outweigh this small increase in investment.
The decision taken in 2006 to convert a large number of ordinary express trains into superfast express trains did help the Railways garner more money because fares for all classes in these trains are higher.
The Domino effect: Higher speed meant lesser time to traverse distances, leading to higher availability of coaches. So, without spending money on building new coaches - this is proceeding as per plan of course- the Railways got more coaches to run additional services or run longer trains with 23 or 24 coaches.
Lalu gave the mantra of his success at his Budget speech –
“This record breaking performance has been possible through reduction in wagon turn round time and through additional loading of 4 to 6 tonnes per wagon. This is the foundation of our financial turn around".That is,
With two axles each per bogie, wagons now have four axles, which determine the maximum loads these eight-wheeled "bogie" wagons can carry.
The load per axle has been of the order of 18 tonnes so far.
Lalu has decided to increase the load per axle by one to two tones resulting in additional loading of four to eight tones per wagon, leading to overall increase in loading without incurring much additional expenditure. The same principle of reducing unit cost of operations.
This has enabled an increase of 100 mt. (metric tonnes) in our loading capacity and generation of over Rs.5000 crores in freight revenues. So simple!!!
However, he and the Railways are aware that wagons designs have to be changed with higher axle load capacity for sustaining this incremental carrying capacity. So, he has introduced 23-tonne per axle capacity wagons and work has already started at the Amritsar workshop.
(sources:G. Raghuram,IIM A, report on Indian Railways)
27 November 2007
1. Yahoo! : Personalized content and search options. Chatrooms, free e-mail, clubs, and pager.
2.Google India: Indian version of this popular search engine. Search the whole web or only webpages from India. Interfaces offered in English, Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi and Tamil.3.
3.Google: Enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include PageRank, caching and translation of results, and an option to find similar pages. The company's focus is developing search technology.
4.Orkut: Social networking and discussion site operated by Google.
5.Rediff.com :Online portal with free e-mail and many other services.
6.YouTube: YouTube is a way to get your videos to the people who matter to you. Upload, tag and share your videos worldwide!
7.Windows Live: Search engine from Microsoft.
8.Blogger.com: Free, automated weblog publishing tool that sends updates to a site.
9.Rapidshare.com: File-sharing website
10.Wikipedia: An online collaborative encyclopedia.
11.Facebook: A social utility that connects people, to keep up with friends, upload photos, share links and videos.
12.Microsoft Network (MSN)Dialup access and content provider.
13.MoneyControl.com: It s the official site for CNBC TV18, and provides news, views, and analysis on equity / stock markets, commodities, personal finance, mutual funds, insurance and loans.
14.Naukri.com: job site
15.Indiatimes:Portal site; includes news stories under subject headings, and links to other information sources.
16.Microsoft CorporationMain site for product information, support, and news.
17.CricinfoInternational cricket news, live scores, photos, columns and player profiles. Provides archive scorecards, statistics database, ratings and email newsletter. Part of ESPN International. UK.
21.Sify.com: Potal for news, business, shopping, sports, movies, vedic astrology, food, and bollywood videos for Indians and NRIs. The largest Indian Communitysify.comSite info for
22.Masala TalkChat about Bollywood, movies, and music.
23.Monsterindia.com: job site
24.Indian Railway Catering and Tourism CorporationOffers online rail ticket booking, and checking of ticket reservation status. Includes train schedules, availability of tickets, and a travel planner.
25.ICICI BankOffers a wide range of banking products and financial services to corporate and retail customers.
(Data courtesy Alexa )
Have a look at the following facts:
- SRK is seen hugging the Indian team at Johannesburg after T20 triumph with the song CHAK DE playing in the background....
- SRK extends his sudden and newly found love with cricket and is seen sitting with Deeepika first at Mumbai in the T20 match with Australia and then at the Jaipur one-day, BCCI cries foul, but Khan says he was there for his kids.His kids are no where in the picture though,but both of them share many frames sitting together.
(I guess she was there as a close friend, and not as a co-star...Mr. Khan,we are not fools!!)
- He's been all painted in the newspapers and Tabloids with his newly acquired and hyper hyped SIX-PACK ABS....
- Random Press-conferences and product launches have assured that one gets his daily dose on the masala news channels.OSO promos have also flooded the small screen with huge frequencies...
- Recently Mr.BHARAT aka Manoj Kumar was visibly very angry at his potrayal in the film.That controversy also hogged quite some limelight.After comments and apologies, the matter was finally settled..
- I also read that he has been voted as the sexiest man in ASIA.. :) !!! (DON"T TELL ME!!)
Too much for a coincidence?Sample this...
SRK's OSO has reportedly made over 100 crores within just 2 weeks of its release and is holding good for many more.....
So....the moral of the story is, you can love him, you can hate him, or curse him or envy him, but there's little denying the fact that he is genius at his work.
SRK's '720 degree' marketing skills has let him to earn many a buck from a below average film like OSO , installed him as the ultimate KING of Bollywood and the most talked about man in INDIA.
He seems to be everywhere, Indians have been 'KHANISED'....
01 November 2007
- The unsuspecting rickshaw walah who moves diligently in the left lane can any time stick his hand out and take a 90 degree turn right in middle of the road. No matter whether you are on a scooter, car speeding at 90 or even a truck, he trusts your judgement.He knows you will save him( and then save yourself!!
- Rule 1: The road belongs to the rickshawwalah, its you who will have to break.
- Corollary: Its your responsibility to save him, he has a family to look after.
- Never mess with a cow.Its always advisable to slow down and take it around her. Our holy cow is the most peaceful and calm creature on earth, so Honking will do you no good.
- The man on the motorcycle will find every inch of space,in between the cars, between the footpath and the buses etc. to go as far ahead as possible(read 2-3 meters) on a red light.
- Rule 3: Make some space for the motorcyclists on the red light, there are always in a hurry.
- Corollary(for the motorcyclists): keep moving ahead on a red-light till you actually start seeing it.
- Don’t abuse the driver if you stick yourself behind an autorickshaw or even deadlier - a Vikram(a deadly blue colored goods auto). Its completely your fault, and your responsibility to speed up and change lanes as soon as possible.(as it is completely beyond their ability).
- Rule4:As soon as you see an Auto, its time to change lanes.
- If a car is honking madly behind you, its best to give them the way. 90% chance is that it would be a Gurgaon heading Qualis!
- Rule 5: Everybody’s in a hurry, except you.
- Beware of girls driving cars.Its best to not move in their lane. You are doomed if you are behind one in a traffic jam.As much they have outsmarted boys in other fronts, handling the steering is one art in which they still face a lot of difficulty. Typical situations include parking or taking the car out of parking, u-turns, traffic jams etc.
- Rule 6: When you find no reason why that car isn’t moving, it’s either broken down, or there’s a lady at the wheel.
- When you are in a car, no matter whether you hit the scooter/rickshaw or the they hit you, You are always the guilty party.
- Rule7: In an accident, your mistake is exponentially proportional to the number of wheels you are on.
- Exceptions:If there is a women involved, her party will win by mass sympathy.
- In an accident, if you are the younger party, there are chances that you will lose always.
- Rule 8: Young men are , by law, rash drivers.
- Don’t mess with the buses and the trucks.No matter whether they hit you or you hit them, You are the one who will be hit, and that too badly!
- Rule 9:Always move a lane clear from the six-wheel monsters.
- No traffic rules exist as such. They only come into effect after you pay your first challan(the more, the earlier) or as soon as you see a white-blue human being.
- Rule 10:Traffic rules apply to everybody, except you.
- A traffic policeman always appears when you have most innocently forgotten to wear your seat-belt or while talking on phone, and that too, when you least expect him too.
- Rule 11:Everyday on Road, is not your lucky day.
- Corollary:You can’t beat traffic policemen at ‘Hide n Seek’.
- Think twice before pressing the pedal on an empty 3-lane road.There are chances that there’s a traffic police jeep at its end.
- Rule 12: Speed limits only come into play on empty roads.
- Don’t kick yourself for getting stuck in slower lane.
- Rule 13(Murphy law):When you are standing in a lane, the other lane always moves faster.
- Corollary: As soon as you switch lanes, your old lane speeds up.
The final golden rule was put very aptly by my driver when he was teaching me driving:
‘…… on the road, people don’t care about their lives, it’s you who has the responsibility to save them. So Drive safely!….’
( I’m sure you have some other rules as well, enhance this handbook in Public Interest!)
Copyright © 2007 - Vaneet Aggarwal.
26 September 2007
While the cash registers continue to ring for the victorious Indian team, our Hockey team cries foul over ‘ STEP - Motherly ‘ treatment.
National Chief Coach, Joaquim Carvalho strongly objected to the announcement of cash awards by the Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel and the state governments of Maharashtra, Haryana, Jharkhand and Karnataka to the cricketers while ignoring the victory of his wards in the Asian Continental Championship early this month.
“Why our hockey players are orphaned and why our politicians are biased towards Hockey, the national game”, Carvalho asked.
He declared that one coach and four players have planned to go on hunger strike before the Karnataka Chief Minister’s house for his announcing Rs five lakh each to the members of the cricket team, while “treating the State hockey players like dust”.
Carvalho said, “Karnataka CM has not till date congratulated his State hockey players for the Asia Cup win”.
Though Cricket is by far the number one sport in India, there is no denying the fact that our National Sport, Hockey, has been shabbily treated by the sports officials and the govt. alike.This recent outcry exemplifies the fact how bad these players feel upon being treated the way they our after fighting out of their skins for the country at important tournaments world over.
While the cricketers get crorepatis after winning the cup, our asian cup winning hockey team got a mere Rs50000 (source unconfirmed) as a cash prize.I think its completely within their rights to raise their voice and its better to get heard now before we finally lose our most successful sport.
25 September 2007
- $4,90,000( about 2 crores) in official prize money for their Twenty20 World Championship
- USD 2 million ( about 8 crores!!) for the whole team from BCC
- Rs 1 crore for Yuvraj Singh, also an ultra-expensive Porsche 919 luxury car for hiiting six sixes in an over.( What about Broad??? Atleast give him a Maruti for getting hit!!)
- Six Indian cricketers, also the employees of Air India, would be promoted out-of-turn in recognition of their achievement. Also free travel in the country’s flagship career Air India for five years for Team India!!
- Telangana Rashtriya Samiti (TRS) has declared 1.16 lakhs each for skipper Dhoni, Pathan and Gautam Gambhir.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh announced a cash reward of Rs 10 lakh each for Mumbai-based Ajit Agarkar and Rohit Sharma.
- The Baroda Cricket Association (BCA) has announced a cash reward of Rs 11 lakh each to brothers Irfan Pathan and Yusuf Pathan.Both lads will also be given 5 Lakh each by the gujarat state govt. as well( Yusuf Patahn ke to maze ho gaye ).
- The Uttar Pradesh government of Chief Minister Mayawati has decided to confer the first Manyavar Kanshiramji International Sports Award to pacer Rudra Pratap Singh.The prize also carries a cash award of Rs 10 lakh.
- Medium( Read- Please don’t hit me!!) pacer Joginder Sharma, would get a cash reward of Rs 21 lakh announced by Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
- Kerala government has decided to award Rs three lakh to Robin Uthappa and 5 Lakhs to Sreesanth.
- Yuvraj and Harbhajan will get 24-Karat gold medals from the Association of Twenty20 Cricket India.
- Delhi players Sehwag and Gambhir will get 5 Lakhs each from Delhi govt.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni will receive the first ever ‘Jharkhand Ratna’ Award for his side’s spectacular victory against Pakistan, which would carry a cash award of Rs 5 lakh and a memento.
- Himachal Pradesh, who does not have any representative in the team, was also not behind and HP’s CM offered a week’s free stay to all the members of the team in any of the HP Tourism Development Corporation hotels in the state.
This is still not the complete list, as the rewards and the cash have kept on coming ever since the Indian Team step foot back home.
Well done Boys, you have done gr8 and you have got what you deserved(probably a lot lot more than that!!!!!). But we need to remember that ‘…….if reaching the top is difficult , then being there is toughest..’ and who better to teach this lesson than the mighty Australians themselves who come to India next!
23 September 2007
It is two in the night and I still can’t refrain myself from doing this entry, because I just saw something which is still hard to believe. INDIA beating world champions Australia in the semis!!!
The match from the very outset was a blinder with Yuvraj lusty hitting powering India to a respectable total.Australia, the team they are, were in the hunt for most of the time, until our spirited bowlers pulled it off.Certainly one of the best Cricket matches you’ll see ever, the intensity , the pace and the skill on show from both teams was exhilirating.
I can’t help but remembering those drooping faces of the Indian team that was going down against SriLanka in the WC earlier this year, and how , literally everyone had written them off, (surely I did). I personally had seen nothing of cricket after that since T20 happened.This Indian juggernaut not only has brought life to Indian cricket and cricket as a whole but also brought about an amazing belief in our young brigade,and I think we all need to take a queue from them, that given the situation ,we’ve got what it takes to beat the best and be the Best!!
And now this brings us to the clash of the titans……INDIA v PAKISTAN in the finals.We have seen them fighting in the WCs, but never have I seen both these teams fighting each other in a game as big as this.Both young teams, without their senior players, both have done exceptionally well in the tournament.It would surely be a clash to witness!!
So boys and girls, whatever you do, take your leave from office, college guys would not mind a MASS BUNK, but kindly stay at home. 5:30PM , Monday is when the action begins!!!!!
20 September 2007
Thank God I returned home just in time to see this live.
Yuvraj Singh tearing apart Mr.Stuart Broad for SIX SIXES in the over.Only Garry Sobers and Ravi Shastri have done this in first-class matches, and Herschelle Gibbs in the World Cup against Holland and now Yuvraj.
First one over long-on, second flicked to square leg, third over extracover, fourth over point, fifth was a skier over square leg and the last one was lofted over long-on for the record maximum!
For those who missed it, and for those who still want to see it one more time….SAVOUR THE MOMENT!!!
19 September 2007
Scene 1: Yours’ Truly is in b/w an important conversation when the phone rings up…..Tring..Tring…
Caller(a girls’ voice):Hello….sir,is it Vaneet Aggarwal.
me: Yes(how the hell she knows my name!!, but who cares )
Caller:Sir,i’m from ICICI/HDFC/ABN-AMRO/HSBC bank and wanted to tell you about our new Free-for-Lifetime GOLD card and its features…..
me(what the heck!!):Thank you very much mam, but I already have one!
Scene 2: I’m doing some important work and suddenly….TRING…TRING…0120-41******, i pick up the phone suspectingly….
caller(again a girl): Goodmorning sir,is this Vaneet Aggarwal
me: Yes. (she knows me too,I’m famous!!!)
caller: Sir our bank is offering a Personal Loan of 3 lakhs, would you be interested?
me(as much i am interested in the sum): sorry mam, but i have enough money. Take it from me if you require one.(and I hang up)
- We all have received such menacing calls which have now become a very routine affair.As much as you want to talk :), its really frustrating to receive such unsolicited calls and SMSes when you expect them the least.
But no more.As many of you would already know, TRAI has set up an National DO-NOT-CALL (NDNC) to finally save us from the menace.
‘The NDNC Registry will be a data base having the list of all telephone numbers of the subscribers who do not want to receive Unsolicited Commercial Communication(UCC).After the establishment of NDNC registry, Telephone subscriber (Landline or mobile) who does not wish to receive UCC, can register their telephone number with their telecom service provider for inclusion in the NDNC. Telecom Service Provider shall upload the telephone number to the NDNC within 45 days of receipt. The Telemarketer will have to verify their calling telephone numbers list with the NDNC registry before making a call.An amount of Rs 500/- per call/message has been prescribed to discourage telemarketers who make calls to numbers registered in Do Not Call list. The defaulter telemarketer will face disconnection of telecom service. ‘
You can enter you number in the NDNC through the wesite of your service provider.The requests which are sent through the telecom service providers will be stored in National Do Not Call Registry, meaning that no body(including your service provider) will be allowed to call you for unsolicited commercial purposes.
You can contact them for details here.
Stop Unsolicited Calls from Airtel
Airtel customers can SMS “START DND” to 121. You will receive a Unique Reference Number by SMS, for your records. Airtel Broadband and Telephone Services customer can call Customer Care at 121 from your Airtel landline phone and place your request. Get details here.
Stop Telemarketing Calls from Hutch
If you wish to stop receiving such communication and want to register yourself on the NDNC registry, simply SMS ACT DND to 111 or fill in the following form.
Stop Telemarketing Calls from Idea Cellular
Should you desire to stop receiving such communication from Idea, all you need to do is to fill the form. The fine print say they require 30 working days to remove your number from the telemarketing lists.
Block Unsolicited Calls from MTNL
The MTNL Delhi service takes you to fill a form on the Unified web Portal which asks for your LandLine / CDMA / GSM No. or Customer Account No.
Block Telemarketing Calls from Reliance Mobile
If you do not wish to be informed about deals through telephone calls or by SMS, you can unsubscribe from such communication by filling up the form. They will stop call within 30 days from the date of submission.
Block Telemarketing Calls from Tata Indicom
If you do not wish to be disturbed by unsolicited calls from Tata Indicom, go here
18 September 2007
Here are some laws which you all will agree have been following ever since you learnt the word ‘LAW’.Some of them are called Murphy’s laws, and beat those of Einstein and Newton any day…!!!
- If anything can go wrong, it will.
- the first 90 % of the task takes 90 % of the time, and the last 10%
takes the other 90 %
- The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side down
is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.
- MURPHY’S LAW OF SELECTIVE GRAVITY :An object will fall so as to do the most damage.
- When you are standing in a line, the other line always moves faster.
- As soon as you switch lanes, your old lane speeds up.
- Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
- After adding two weeks to the schedule for unexpected delays, add two more for the unexpected, unexpected delays.
- Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.
- To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
- If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.
- Any instrument when dropped will roll into the least accessible corner.
- If you cannot convince people, confuse them.
- When all else fails, read the instructions.
17 September 2007
I just got this in my e-mail :
‘ An Indian discovered that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as “CON”. This is something pretty cool…and unbelievable. .. At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn’t answer why this happened? So, inform about this to all your friends. Try it now, it will not create “CON” Folder. Try to rename the New Folder as CON or con, It will not Accept…’
I tried it, and yes, windows was unable to rename the folder as ‘CON’.Trivial but amazing!!
15 September 2007
This Twenty20 world cup in some sense has shown us the way cricket will evolve in the time to come.Shorter games, more fours and sixes, innovative rules,, dancing girls… in short-more glamor and excitement.And we surely are not complaining.(bowlers might disagree on this
Specially after yesterday, where we had a tie and the game proceeded to a BOWL OUT,something which we had never seen in cricket. It was incredible to see the players, umpires, coaches, even the match referee with the rule books, everybody on the field and figuring out what is to be done next. The actual bowl out was also in no way less exciting than we see in football or hockey.
Full marks to ICC for introducing the concept.It has brought about a breath of freshness and excitement in the air of monotony in the game.But they have to make sure that they maintain its exclusivity and don’t over do it, otherwise it may kill the traditional game.
13 September 2007
It was a usual morning as I went out for work when i found the first intersection barricaded and policemen diverting the traffic to the right.Thinking of a ‘netaji’ on a visit, I turned over just to find another barricade telling to go to the left.A Km ahead, another barricade wading traffic to the right.And after 45 min of left-righ, i found myself standing right in front of my house!
The alternate route took me more than three times the time it usually takes to reach my destination. My friends encountered similar traffic snarls all over Delhi.As it turned out to be, it was actually the VHP activists carrying out city wide processions..!!!
The cause: Setu Samudram Project.The multi-crore rupee project proposes to provide a shorter sea route from Rameshwaram to Sri Lanka.So what is VHP’s problem-They beleive that building this canal would destroy the ancient Ram Sethu built during Ramayana.They are also claiming that the Centre had fallen a prey to America’s “conspiracy” to make the Palk Strait, now shared only by India and Sri Lanka, international waters,and that the site had more than 3.60 lakh tonnes of thorium that could be used for making power for another 100 years for the entire country….
Ram Sethu…thorium or not….this surely was not the way to raise the voice. I surely was hugely annoyed to see the state of affairs in Delhi today.
11 September 2007
‘..It was right then that I started thinking about Thomas Jefferson on the Declaration of Independence and the part about our right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And I remember thinking how did he know to put the pursuit part in there? That maybe happiness is something that we can only pursue and maybe we can actually never have it. No matter what. How did he know that?..’
Thats’ exactly the line which hit me while watching the movie yesterday night(early morning actually!).That maybe happiness is something we can always pursue…..something me might think we already have….but actually, we can never have it!!
The movie shows Christopher Gardner(played superbly by Will Smith), a man who grew up without a father, and vowed not to let his son grow up without a father. Its’ a story where perseverance of the human spirit wins over the enormity of the difficult situations.Gardner, as a salesman, fails terribly,again and again, is stripped of his money, his house, spends days in asylums, night in toilets, sells blood for 20$, studies day and night , to finally pull it off as a successful broker. He does everything a human can do,or even better,…in pursuit of Happyness.
07 September 2007
What a victory……surely a one to cherish for every Indian fan!
India started off well with Zaheer and the off spin-leg spin duo of Pawar and Chawla, restricting England mid way through the innings, but Shah and wright took it away from there.But the axe fell in the last over, when Dravid handed over the ball to Yuvraj( as if to challege England :show me if you can hit six sixes off him??? and he WON….as they could hit only FIVE…man…he slogged him for five straight sixes in five balls….!!!
It had to be a great opening partnership to take India through, and so it was, with sachin and ganguly one again playing the once threatening one-day opening duo to perfection. Sachin was toying with the bowling with his flicks, cuts and paddles, he seemed to enjoy his new found youthfulness in his batting in the series.It was clear that he was there to score runs, not to defend, and you sort of know,(assuming you are an ardent cricket fan) when he is in that sort of a mood…(remember 2003 WC PAK game?)…Ganguly was his normal back too, with his lofted shots straight and over cover.
The 2 fell in succession, gambhir , yuvraj and Dhoni crawled it through to the death…with 10 runs of last 6 balls…it was all upto Utthappa…and first a paddle flick to fine leg and then a straight drive for four sealed one of the most thrilling matches I’ve seen!!!
I hope this victory gives India a lot of momentum before the final game at Lords…It surely will be a cracker.. !P.S. It would be great if Sachin finishes it off with a century, i think he deserves it
25 August 2007
chak de india!
Thats’ exactly how i felt as i finally caught up with the moviethis weekend.
Wonderfully scripted, the film kept me glued for it entire 2 and a half hour length.
The film is about Kabir Khan, the ruined center forward of the Indian hockey team,who was once accused of fixing the final against Pakistan, how he comes back to hockey after seven years to fulfill his to coach a bunch of 15 girls and takes the team to world cup glory
Coming to the performances,this is the second time i have liked SRK, the first one being in swades. He portrays the tainted center forward comeback coach of the indian hockey team, Kabir Khan, to perfection.The director has to to be given credit for the casting of the girls. Each one of them stands out and meets SRK shoulder to shoulder. Komal chautalas’ haryanvi is mindblowing:-), Bindiya naik plays the vamp to perfection, and so does balbir with her punjabi.Rest of the girls are gr8 too.
Highlights of the film are SRKs’ pep talks(especially the sattar minute one), the final sequence of the film, men-women team match, and the introduction of the players in the beginning.
A wonderful film to be made, not only glorifying our long forgotten national sport, but telling us to leave our petty differences, work as a team and above all ,reminding us that we are all a part of one nation, IN-DIA.